Museum visits are self-guided. However, when possible, volunteers and staff are always on hand to answer your questions. Please allow a minimum of 45 minutes to enjoy the visit.
SUMMER HOURS: (June 22nd – September 4th)Monday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Tues. - Fri.: 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- How much is admission?
- Admission to the museum is by donation to the "Friends of the Penitentiary Museum at Kingston" Charitable Organization (# 87852 0964 RR 0001). All donations to the Friends are used for the further development of the museum and its services.
- Is there on-site parking?
- Yes. Our parking lot is immediately adjacent to the museum. There are designated bus and disabled visitor spaces. Enter the property from the southbound lane of Sir John A. Macdonald Blvd. If approaching from King Street West by car, you will be required to circle the block in order to enter the site.
- Are reservations required?
- Between May and October we highly recommend that groups of 10 or more call the museum in advance. Call 613.530.3122. In the off-season (November through April), reservations are necessary for all visits. Staff availability is limited, so we apologize that we cannot accommodate all requests.
- Do you offer guided tours?
- Tours of the museum are generally self-guided. However we do have staff on hand to answer questions and we try to have volunteers, many of whom are retired Correctional officers, on site to enhance your visiting experience.
- Is the museum accessible?
- The museum is partially accessible to the main floor via a wheelchair ramp. Most exhibits are on this level. We also have an accessibility kiosk with an interactive touch-screen so that visitors can view the second floor through a virtual tour without necessarily having to climb the stairs. The kiosk also allows access to limited sections of the main CSC website. Our public washrooms are also accessible. Two designated accessibility parking spaces are provided adjacent to the building.
- Is there a gift shop?
- Yes, the “Keeper’s Cache” Gift Shop is open daily during the summer and by appointment during the winter, Monday to Friday subject to staff availability.
- Are services available for research?
- While the museum does maintain a small archive relating to federal penitentiaries, unfortunately there are no public research facilities available on site. Researchers are requested to contact our fee-based Penitentiary Research Service. Upon submission of a research request, a staff member will respond with an estimated cost to conduct the research. Requests are answered on a first come first served basis, however response times vary and a modest fee is applicable.